The History of Bransford Elementary School
The school began in a one room building on Cheatham Street between 10th and 11th Avenues in the fall of 1884 serving approximately 100 students in grades one thru six. Miss. Lena Bransford taught first and second grades; Miss. Mattie Green taught third and fourth grades; Mr. Dunlap taught fifth and sixth grades, and also served as Principal. This was the only school in Springfield for African American students. In 1897 the school was moved to 13th Avenue between Cheatham and Richard Streets. In 1905 the school moved to 15th Avenue and Leota Street. The students were moved to the Richard Street location where the combinded grade span was first through twelve. The school received its name in honor of Miss Lena Bransford who served first through twelfth grades during her days at Bransford.
Mrs. Lena Mae Bransford
In 1958 a separate building was constructed from Bransford High School which opened in March of 1959 with six classes serving grades six, seven and eight. In 1960 due to the growth in the community, nine more classrooms were added. The seventh and eight grades moved back to the high school building and the grade span was changed to first through six.
In 1970 integration caused a major change of grade structure throughout the city with busing, a plan implemented that used all the school buildings in the Springfield area. By 1975-1976 Bransford Elementary served grades kindergarten, four and five. With this plan all kindergarten students were to attend the school closest to their home. In 1977-1978 Bransford Elementary changed to Kindergarten, third and fourth grades. It remained kindergarten, third and fourth until 1988 through 1998 when we changed to Pre-school, Kindergarten and first. During the 1998-1999 school year, schools were reconstructed and Bransford Elementary became an early childhood center houseing only pre-kindergarten and Kindergarten classes.
Bransford Elementary has had great leadership throughout its long history. the following indiviuals have provided Bransford with much success. Mr. John Patterson, Mr. Robert Gordon, Mr. Robert Farmer Jr, and Mr. Harold Barbee , who is the present principal. One secretary, Mrs. Jane Ligon has served as a loyal and committed source of strength and support to the present.
Mr. John Patterson Mr. Robert Gordon
Bransford Elementary is located in the south west part of Springfield in a predominantly African American neighborhood. Bransford has and is serving all students well.
A number of additions and renovations have made Bransford what it is today. The east wing of Bransford was constructed in 1988-89. This addition included eight classrooms, a Media Center, and a gym for physical education. Other renovations completed during these years included a new office complex and redesigning the kitchen.